Friday 6 March 2009

Success Story

Dan Joblin gets his safety harness into production.

It gives me great pleasure to be posting the excellent news that 2008 Product Design graduate Dan Jobin has completed modifications to his safety harness design and has sold the design to world leading adventure sports company Ozone. This is excellent news and we are delighted to bring this story to you. There has been considerable media interest in Dan and his harness, keep a look out as there is more media coverage for Dan on the horizon.

Dan joined the Generator straight after graduation to work on the next generation of his harness design. The staff and other Generator residents have enjoyed seeing Dan take his product to a whole new level and we now look forward to seeing him reap the rewards of his hard work.

Dan says "the Generator is a fantastic place to be in, I wouldn't have been able to achieve what I did if I had been working on my own. Being with others and having the opportunity to talk through design, product, costing and contractual issues - with staff, when they arise is fantastic. I am looking forward to workin on my next product now"

The Generator was set up to assist Unitec alumni to achieve exactly this level of success. The evidence to date strongly supports the validity of the original concept - a space on campus where graduates can work on perfecting, advancing and launching their businesses and commercial ideas.

Dan - we are looking forward to seeing your next product finding its way out onto the market.

For more in formation on Dan and his harness project see the blog he created whilst working on this project as a final year product design student.

No comments:

Quote

"For me a business plan is a road-map to make your idea happen. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m not sure creatives should be talking about revenue streams and supply chains when they mean income and a network of friends and contacts in various creative fields. "I met this guy and he knows someone who can help out." That’s so underplayed and yet it’s so important to successful business. Terms like ‘supply chain’ are only so much alienating jargon.”

Hugo Manassei
Director, NESTA Graduate
Pioneer Programme

Quote

"Barbara made business seem so relevant. And that made it immediately interesting to me. I really felt that I wanted to understand it better because it’s related to what I am doing"

(Generator resident post Waitakere Enterprise/Generator Business Courses)